Sit back, relax, and experience comfort as an esthetician gently and effectively removes your hair in the desired area, and wa-la, you are done! This sounds like a positive waxing experience with a professional, but now you are going to face ingrown hairs after waxing when you go home.
Although you can always come back to our boutique after your waxing service to have our professional esthetician help you remove ingrown hairs, it's always a good idea to know tips and products that you can use at home to prevent ingorwn hairs from growing.
How do ingrown hairs happen?
Ingown hairs are hairs that have curled around and grown back into your skin instead of rising up and outward from it. Sometimes dead skin can clog up a hairfollicle. That forces the hair inside it to grow sideways under the skin, rather than upward and outward.
How can I prevent ingrown hairs from happening?
The rule of thumb is to always exfoliate before and after waxing. You can exfoliate either in the shower, or do it dry before you hop into the shower, which works well if you have a big problem with ingrown hairs. If your skin becomes red and sensitive after exfoliating, lay off for a few days, and then exfoliate more gently. Start exfoliating two or three days after waxing with either a loofah, a rough wash cloth, or a body brush.
We know fighting the urge to use a razor is so difficult to resist, remember that shaving inbetween your waxing services can prevent a smooth and clean wax. After all, you need at least three to four weeks of hair growth or you hair need to be 1/4 of an inch before your next waxing appointment to achieve the best wax.
What are some post-waxing products do you recommend?
1. PFB Vanish: This is a great product for both women and men. It is easy to apply since it is a roll-on gel. It contains salicylic acid and glycolic acid that can help prevent ingrown hair growth. It is available for purchase at Serene.
2. ESPA Purifying Tea Tree Gel: This is an intensely invigorating body scrub that contains tee tree oil, thyme and primrose. It not only soothes irritated skin, it also works to clear up blemishes. You can purchase it at ESPA.com.
3. Bikini Zone Medicate Creme: This is a relatively inexpensive cream that is wildly available at most drug stores. A cult classic that gets the job done when it comes to reducing redness and relieving ich, it also helps you get rid of bikini bumps. The product also comes in a travel-friendly size.
4. Bliss Ingrown eliminating pads: Soaked in oat extract, witch hazel and lavendar oil, these pads prevent post-waxing bumps and gently exfoliates with just a few wipes. You can buy it at Sephora.com.
5. Relax and Wax No Trauma Momma: This cream based product is very moisturizing and keeps your skin soothed. Active ingredients of Propylene Glycol (a humectant) and Tea Tree Oil (soothing, antiseptic) help alleviate the trauma associated with waxing. You can purchase this product at Serene. Its sister product, Relax and Wax No Scream Cream, is a pre-waxing product that helps ease the discomfort during waxing up to 80%.
As you can see, discomfort and pain can be reduced to a minimum as long as you get yourself prepared. Keeping regular scrubing and moisturizing of your skin is not only great after waxing, it maintains a smooth skin for you on a daily basis.
If you have more questions regarding the products we recommended, feel free to ask our estheticians at Serene Wax Boutique. Book your next waxing appointment here.